“This hack is now my official favorite,” says Joico Brand Storyteller, Olivia Smalley, the artist famous for blowing up the internet with a curl trick that involved a water bottle and a blow-dryer. (Google it. Trust us.) But now she’s gone and done it again with a ridiculously easy hair hack for beautiful curls that requires nothing more than a sock and a single product. “You’ll even love the way your hair looks while the scarf is in – so really, this is two-look-for-the-price-of-one trick,” explains Olivia, who loves how the curls loosen and change as the days go on. Here’s the how-to:
Apply Joico’s Zero Heat Air Dry Crème: It’s the no-heat, no-hassle styler that offers an air-dried style with polish. (Zero Heat comes in two personalized formulas – for fine/medium or thick hair – and defines and enhances your hair’s natural texture while keeping frizz in check.) Says Olivia, “I love the way Zero Heat leaves my hair sooooo soft!” Using it before the hair hack means you’re good to go with a heat-free curl – and that’s a winning combo for hair that needs a break from the damaging effects of thermal tools.
View this post on Instagram
1. Grab a scarf and roll it up lengthwise, about one-inch thick. Clip or bobby pin the scarf to the top of your head, placed close-ish to your face.
2. Separate your hair into two equal sections, as you would for pigtails.
3. Starting with one side, wrap small sections of hair around the scarf, twisting away from your face. Keep taking hair and wrapping as you make your way down the scarf.
Pro tip: The tighter your wrap your hair, the tighter the curl will be.
4. Secure with a hair tie at the end, and repeat on the other side.
5. Allow hair to dry completely. Overnight is optimal.
6. Once hair is dry, unravel both sides of hair from the scarf.
Pro tip: Smooth out ends with your fingers and a bit of water, if they need it.
7. Gently move your fingers through your hair to help break up your curls for an effortless, natural look.