- salon pro
The scene? Designer Malan Breton’s Spring/Summer 2017 show at New York Fashion Week. The Hair? A 1920s-meets-1970s collaboration of soft and serious, designed by industry sensation Vivienne Mackinder for Joico. The how-to’s? We’ve got them right here!
Bump up ‘70s structured style with a twist/pony combo that gives a nod to the era of elevated elegance.
1) For maximum lift, apply Joico Power Whip Foam to damp hair, then blow dry straight and away from the face.
2) Next comes IronClad Thermal Protectant Spray to shield strands from heat styling.
3) For the faux hawk, start by creating volume using a large-barrel curling iron (leave ends straight); then attach a hair pad at the crown.
4) Apply a few hair extensions at the nape of the neck to create a ponytail.
5) Tease face-framing hair, then pull it back with hair at the base of the head. Mesh the top and bottom hair together from mid-shaft to ends.
6) Smooth crown hair over the pad to create a sleek, elevated effect, making sure the fullest part of the style is on top.
7) Pin the rest of the hair into a twist at the base of the bun, and fasten with a long chignon pin.
8) Lightly back-comb the hair that lies under the pad (from crown to nape) at the roots.
9) Divide hair into three strands and braid into the nape of the head.
10) Now, secure the ponytail with an elastic and gently pull apart the braided twist for texture. Finish with Power Spray Fast Dry Finishing Spray.
The curls are pure flapper, but a bit of boho whimsy brings this look decades ahead.
1) Start by assessing the texture of the hair and length of the hair (attach extensions if necessary). For fine strands, apply Power Whip for extra volume; for thick or coarse hair, stick with Power Spray Fast Dry Finishing Spray.
2) Spritz in IronClad Thermal Protectant Spray. Working from the nape to the top of the head, begin creating random waves with a flat iron; this is done by “walking” the iron to the left and then to the right, while pulling hair through in an S pattern. Leaves shorter pieces out to fall naturally around the face. Apply Power Spray Fast Dry Finishing Spray to secure the waves.
3) Next, take the side sections of the hair from temples upward and gather into a loose pony, twisting and pulling strands apart for an undone look.
4) Finish with additional Power Spray, plus a small dab of K-PAK Protect & Shine Serum to create gleam and separation to the waves.
Curls aren’t only for girls. This sexy, lived-in look has maximum masculinity…and still makes waves.
1) Apply styling product to create base texture. On thick and wavy strands, use a dollop of JoiGel; Power Whip is the best choice for finer, thinner hair.
2) Next, take little sections—vary the size—and curl with a small-barrel iron, walking out the curl to create looser ends. Keep things random by bending some hair at the root and leaving others more abstract looking.
3) Apply Hair Shake for additional texture and flexibility. Then finish with Power Spray Fast Dry Finishing Spray Or Flip Turn Volumizing Finishing Spray for extra holding power.
See every look from the fashion show here.