- salon pro
Who are you wearing took a backseat to Who did your hair at the 74th Annual Golden Globe Awards last night, as Hollywood’s hottest (Brie! Gina! Lily!) were coiffed by our very own superstars, Denis De Souza and Paul Norton. Want the scoop? The how to’s? The reviews? Our after-party starts here…
Cabaret was the inspiration for Paul Norton, who created a vintage-yet-modern look for this Jane The Virgin star–and the perfect accessory to her glamour gown, which cascaded with hundreds of “made-you-look” shimmering beads.
1) Prep hair with Joico Power Whip and tousle dry with a blow dryer, pushing the hair to one side for a deep side part.
2) Dry the hairline areas with a round brush for a smooth finish.
3) Starting on the side with volume, begin gently bending small sections of hair using a one-inch-barrel curling iron. Spray each section with JoiShape prior to adding the wave.
4) Direct side curls away from the face, wrapping hair over the iron and leaving ends out for a looser, more modern vibe. Use small clips to allow hair to cool with a vintage s-shape wave.
5) Once cool, finger-comb hair with a dab of K-PAK Protect & Shine Serum.
6) Apply Joico Power Spray to the sleeker side to keep hair back and in place.
7) Next, add a bit of Hair Shake to the ends for piece-y separation.
8) Last step: a light dusting of Joico Gold Dust to pick up the sparkle of Gina’s gown.
Full, feminine, loose curls were the master plan when Paul Norton gave this lively actress off-hand glamour inspired by a free-and-easy era.
1) Apply Power Gel to damp hair and dry fully with a round, metal brush, flipping ends up as you go along.
2) Create a center part. Starting in the back with a 1 ¾-inch barrel iron, curl hair away from the face, leaving one-to-two inches out on the ends, and pinning each piece in place until cool.
3) Continually repeat step #2 as you work your way to the top.
4) Once your reach the top section, switch to a one-inch iron and curl hair away from the face, starting very close to the root for a tighter bend.
5) When hair is completely cool, remove pins and separate waves using a large-tooth comb.
A riff on his signature Sombré look was a slam-dunk for superstar colorist, Denis De Souza, who showcased the dimensional color on actress, Kathryn Hahn. His cleverly woven golden highlights were a soft counterpart to Kathryn’s edgy middle part, bangs, and undone waves.
The magic formula:
I applied equal parts of LumiShine® Permanent Crème Color 5N and 5NA with 20 Volume Developer at the regrowth area. Then, I used FreePlay Clay Lightener with 30 Volume Developer to create this beautiful Sombré effect on her. I glossed with LumiShine Demi-Permanent Liquid 1/3 9NV + 1/3 8NA + 1/3 Clear with 5 Volume Developer.
Classic Hollywood opulence–we’re talking Rita Hayworth/Veronica Lake-kind-of- opulence–was in full force for this Oscar winner and Golden Globe presenter. Her stunning, blonde highlights, created by color magician Denis De Souza, were utterly stage-worthy; along with deeply side-parted hair and elegant movie-star waves.
Denis took this belle of the ball (don’t even get us started on her exquisite brocade rose gown) from red to luscious brown, giving her brunette updo just the right amount of burnished luster. With a final gloss to refresh color and add intense shine, Lily was ready to rock the red carpet. And she did.
The magic formula:
I used LumiShine Permanent Creme Color 7NWB with 20 Volume Developer to add very fine highlights around the face, to soften the regrowth and add illumination. I glossed with LumiShine Demi-Permanent Liquid Color 9NV with 5 Volume Developer. I also followed it with K-PAK Color Therapy Luster Lock Shine and Repair Treatment for amazing shine on the red carpet.
See more of last year’s hair how-to’s on the red carpet.