House of Cards star, Robin Wright, and Orange Is the New Black’s Laura Prepon rocked the carpet at the 2014 Emmy Awards with brilliantly glamorous, head-turning hair; and we should know, because we helped them get there. Teaming up with celebrity stylists Jonathan Colombini and Paul Norton – plus a couple of our favorite new Joico products – our glam squad worked their magic to rave reviews.
LAURA PREPON: A TWIST ON A CLASSIC
Inspired by the sculptural curves and old-Hollywood elegance of the star’s Gustavo Cadile gown, celebrity stylist Jonathan Colombini turned to an updated take on the French Twist for Laura’s red-carpet romp. A little looser, a little off-center, and a whole-lot-of-texture were the building blocks of this not-so-classic classic.
Get the look:
ROBIN WRIGHT: STRONG SHAPE, STRONG LOOK
Channeling the cool composure that she’s known for both on and off screen, Robin sailed down the carpet in a dramatic, backless Ralph Lauren pantsuit that put her squarely on everyone’s best-dressed lists. She was best-tressed, too, as celebrity stylist, Paul Norton, paired the ensemble with equally powerful, sexy hair directed away from the face.
Re-create Robin’s blonde look with these simple steps:
- Start with Joico’s Color Endure Violet Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner to maximize the cool, crisp tones of blonde locks.
- In your hands, combine a small dollop of Joico’s Power Whip Whipped Foam and NEW Heat Set Blow-Out Perfecting Crème, working products into hair from roots to ends.
- Dry top sections with a small, round, boar-bristle brush to create volume; then switch to a small Mason Pearson brush for smoothing sides and back sections.
- Emulsify a bit of Joico’s Texture Boost Dry Spray Wax in your hands, and “tousle” the product into hair to create separation and natural-looking texture.
- For the finish, add holding power to sides of hair by spritzing on Joico’s NEW Flip Turn Volumizing Finishing Spray; then spritz a bit more Flip Turn to your fingers, and “pinch” random sections for extra definition throughout the longer crown sections.
Sarah Hyland in The Undone Bun
More than a top knot, less than a classic chignon – that’s what we loved about Sarah’s slightly irreverent updo, which starts with a twisted ponytail wrapped around its own base, then bobby-pinned into place.
Get Sarah Hyland’s hairstyle look:
Claire Danes in Big Fishtail Updo
Fishtail braids are all the rage, but Claire wore hers swimmingly and you can, too… by cleverly twisting the braid into a figure-eight at the nape, and anchoring with a few hairpins.
Get Claire Danes’s hairstyle look:
- Apply Joico JoiWhip Firm Hold Design Foam to damp hair and blow dry.
- Gather all strands into a low ponytail and secure.
- Create a fishtail braid with the lengths of the ponytail, wind the braid into a figure eight-shaped chignon at the nape and secure.
- Dab Joico Matte Grip Texture Crème onto fingertips and gently release a few hairline strands for a casual, “lived-in” look.
Hayden Panettiere in Headband on the Runway
What do you do when you have short hair and want to glam things up? Follow Hayden’s lead by pinning back a few loose curls, and adding the crowning touch – a delicate-yet-blinged-out headband.
Get Hayden’s hairstyle look:
- Apply Joico Power Whip Whipped Foam to damp hair and blow dry.
- Divide the hair into narrow sections, mist each one with Joico Texture Boost Dry Spray Wax and twirl around a styling wand.
- Clip each curl into place, complete the set and allow the hair to cool.
- Divide the hair in half, gather the lower half into a bundled bun just below the crown and secure.
- Gradually drape individual sections from the front back and over the bun, and secure until all the hair is incorporated into the hairstyle.
- Mist with Joico Power Spray Fast-Dry Finishing Spray.
Debra Messing in Part One
Yes, it’s 2014, but in her inimitable style, Debra glided down the runway like a modern-day Veronica Lake… complete with the hallmark extreme side part, and a few, soft barrel curls for interest. In our opinion – utterly simple and extraordinarily elegant.
Get Debra Messing’s hairstyle look:
- Apply Joico Body Luxe Volumizing Foam and Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Restorative Styling Oil to damp hair to produce maximum shine for this amazing red color.
- Create a deep side part and blow dry with a large round brush to smooth the natural curl and produce body and volume.
- Mist with Joico’s NEW Flip Turn Volumizing Finishing Spray and wind a few face-framing sections into barrel curls on a large curling iron.
- Clip the curls into place, cool, release and brush through gently.