- salon pro
Wait — scratch the like. It was actually more of a big, fat love of the hairstyles (read: BANGS!) worn by actress Robin Wright and daughter Dylan Penn at the 2017 Emmy’s last Sunday. And who was responsible for the duo’s gorgeous red carpet ‘dos? None other than Joico’s Hollywood hair pro, Paul Norton, who deserves an Achievement Award for the glam looks he spills about here…
We’ve seen plenty of faux bangs at awards ceremonies (artfully invented fringes MacGyver’d with a few discreet bobby pins). But House of Cards star, Robin Wright, let stylist Paul Norton “do” the real deal, which is, frankly, a big deal when you’re about to make an appearance at event watched by millions. “We decided to be bold and cut a sexy, long fringe resting just above her eyes to give us a more updated feeling,” said Paul of the gutsy move. Here’s how the look unfolded:
· First, Paul set off Robin’s golden hair with Joico’s Blonde Life Shampoo and Conditioner, followed by Blonde Life Brightening Masque, which he left on for 15 minutes to bring up the gleam to maximum intensity.
· Then came the big bang move, followed by a good dollop of JoiWhip worked into damp strands. Paul tousled Robin’s hair until about 95% dry, then used a round, medium boar-bristle brush to refine the crown section and fringe areas. “I wanted a minimal amount of volume in her freshly-cut bangs to keep the vibe alluring,” he explains.
· Once hair was fully dry, Paul sprayed her entire head in sections with Ironclad Thermal Protectant Spray to create a barrier against the heat styling that followed.
· Taking small sections from the bottom and working his way up, Paul applied Design Works Shaping Spray and used a beveled flat iron to give each piece a gentle bend. “Each section had its own direction so the look would be kind of playful, messy, and sexy.”
· Finally, Paul had Robin tilt her hair back so strands were “way overdirected” while he separated and spritzed on Hair Shake (“the key product in creating this look”). A quick application of Flip Turn Volumizing Finishing Spray and he sent the star down the red carpet.
We can’t imagine a more thrilling date to the Emmy Awards than your very own daughter. Especially when it’s actress/model Dylan Penn, who joined her mom, Robin Wright, on the red carpet for a generational glam slam of blonde, bombshell hair. Paul Norton explains how he got the gorgeous Gen X-er Emmy ready:
· It started with a blowout, working a good dollop of JoiWhip throughout Dylan’s damp hair for support and style.
· Next came Ironclad Thermal Protectant Spray on all sections of her long, dimensional-blonde hair. Using a 1 ¾-inch-barrel curling iron, Paul waved the hair in alternating directions, and in varying-size sections, starting from the bottom and working his way up.
· With a flip of Dylan’s hair upside down, Paul began spraying Hair Shake from roots to ends, scrunching it in, and using his blowdryer to add even more tousle.
· After flipping back up, it was Flip Turn Volumizing Finishing Spray for the win. (And the hold.)
See more of Robin Wright’s winning looks.