- salon pro
We’re not sure what grabbed us more during the 2017 Academy Awards:
1) The bus tourists who were shuffled into a nationally televised, celeb-studded Oscars like deer in Hollywood headlights.
2) The Best Picture debacle that actually made more headlines than politics for a change.
3) The wowza hairstyles and color of these gorgeous actresses.
(Hint: We’re going with hair.)
“Platinum is the new blonde,” says Joico’s superstar colorist, Denis De Souza, who singled out Michelle’s pale pixie crop for its very current, edgy sheen. Clients have been clamoring for the color lately; post Oscars, we’re guessing the number is going to skyrocket.
“This chic cut is a classic way to rock a red carpet,” says Joico hair-master, Paul Norton. Here are Paul’s how-tos…
· Apply Joico’s new Blonde Life Brightening Masque before styling to guaranteed softness and shine.
· Run Heat Set Blowout Perfecting Creme in with your hands and blow-dry hair forward using a flat boar-bristle brush.
· Piece out the fringe with fingers and a bit of Matte Grip Texture Creme, using a comb to smooth sides and back into place.
When the dress goes bare, so does the hair…in this case, it’s Hailee’s super-natural brunette base with the subtlest caramel highlights, says Denis. Swirled into simple double buns, the look is a perfect foil for her glammed-up gown.
“This modern, sleek up-do was the balance of volume, tightness, and texture,” says Paul.
· Blow-dry hair fully with Heat Set.
· Apply Power Gel to hands and use your palms to gather sides of the hair tightly against the head.
· Using a comb or flat brush, create two ponytails (one on top of the other) in the center of the head and at the nape. Twist each ponytail until it collapses on itself forming a bun shape; use bobby pins to anchor to the base.
· Spray Hair Shake Finishing Texturizer Spray at the crown of the head and use fingers to pull some of the hair at the top forward, creating a bit of lift.
· Finish with Flip Turn hairspray.
My personal fave, raves Denis, who notes that the golden, copper-red hue not only flatters Emma’s coloring big-time, but gives her “old Hollywood glamour” that totally jives with a woman who just won Best Actress (really) for La-La Land.
“I love how perfectly polished this star-style looks…not a hair out of place,” explains Paul.
· Apply a dollop of JoiWhip and blow dry hair fully, using a round brush.
· Starting from the bottom and working your way up to the top, wrap hair around the barrel of a one-inch-barrel curling iron, making sure to direct the ends away from the face.
· Apply K-PAK Protect & Shine Serum to the hair, then run a large-tooth comb through each curl to disperse the product.
· Pump up the volume of your finished look with Hair Shake, applied from midshaft to ends; gently back-combing hair from the root with your fingers.
Thanks to Denis De Souza’s magic touch, Lily walked the carpet with a deeply warm and lustrous brunette hue, flecked with the subtlest of highlights.
The Star Formula:
Gloss with LumiShine® Demi-Permanent Liquid Color equal parts of 7NWB and 9NWB with 5 Volume LumiShine developer. Process at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Loose waves and pulled-back sides were the perfect tricks to show off Brie’s dimensional blonde ‘do, says Denis, who played light against dark for the most natural look ever.
The Star Formula:
Alternate creating highlights using LumiShine Permanent Creme Color Extra Lift Blonde Natural (XLN) with 30 volume LumiShine developer. Then add a few lighter pieces around the face using Joico Creme Lightener with 20 volume LumiShine developer. Foil these pieces focusing on creating a “light ends” effect. Process to desire level of blonde. Gloss with LumiShine Demi-Permanent Liquid Color in 9NV with 5 volume LumiShine developer. Apply all over and process at room temperature for 10 minutes.
See the looks that stole the Golden Globes red carpet!