- salon pro
Put away those bows, bands, and spendy hair accessories, because we’ve got a plan for holiday-party hair that’s ingenious and easy. And all it requires is a can or two of Joico InstanTint Shimmer Spray, a splash of creativity, and the ingenious eye of hair stylist, Janine Ker (@janine_ker_hair on Instagram).
Tip: Finish with a vivid red lip and blouse to bring out the intensity of the hair art.
1) Create and secure an updo that will accommodate your stencil design. (In this case, Janine went with a side-swept look with a side bun that left plenty of space for color.
2) Hover the stencil above the hair to explore composition until you finalize placement.
3) Place stencil securely against hair, and using InstaTint Fiery Coral Shimmer Spray, begin with short bursts of sprays to evenly apply a foundational layer first. Keeping the stencil in place, and repeat using broader, longer sprays. Use a blow dryer with a diffuse on a light setting to set the color if necessary. Repeat until desired amount of coverage is achieved.
4) Keeping the stencil in place, apply Gold Dust on top of the Fiery Coral, spraying in light, short bursts. For dimension, focus Gold Dust on some of the edges for a highlighted effect.
5) Gently peel the stencil off the hair.
6) Hold the design in place with a generous spritz of Joico Power Spray.
Tip: Keep this particular look centered on the silver and gold of the holiday season, and consider pairing with vintage makeup (like a gold eyeliner).
1) Apply a traditional thermal set, then comb out and style, choosing a preferred side for your decorative element and securing with gold bobby pins.
2) Spray the secured surface with Power Spray to smooth down any flyaways.
3) Choose a stencil that compliments the shape and amount of space you’re working with. (We used a small, round vintage-feel design.)
4) Place stencil securely against dry hair. Using Gold Dust, start off with several short sprays to build a foundational layer, then build up with additional layers, always keeping stencil in place. A blow-dryer with a diffuser on low can speed up drying between layers.
5) Gently remove the stencil by peeling it away.
6) Once dry, mix a small amount of glitter and hair gel, dabbing some accent sparkles on top of your design.
Tip: Match the fun, festive hair color with holiday makeup looks that could play with bold trends and metallic.
1) Style a long bob straight, using a flat iron to create a perfect surface.
2) Secure a foundation for stenciling by spraying on a few layers of JoiShape, held at least ten inches away from hair to avoid a stiff look.
3) Starting at the back of the head, place a geometric hair stencil at the perimeter of the long bob, making sure stencil is held in place firmly and closely.
4) Using Pink Dust (or InstaTint Pink, apply several short sprays over the entire area, evenly spraying and repeating until desired covered is achieved. (Use the blow-dryer with diffusion on low heat again to dry the Pink between layers.)
5) Repeat and continue the stencil pattern to the front left and front right perimeter, placing the stencil where the first pattern left off.
Get even MORE creative stencil hairstyles by Janine.